Website Rosewood Sand Hill
Rosewood Sand Hill, a luxury hotel in Menlo Park, California, opened in 2009. Nestled on 16 acres of pristine property in Silicon Valley, the five-star rated hotel offers a retreat for Bay Area executives and entrepreneurs, as well as local residents and visitors. The historic California ranch-style architecture melds with fragrant gardens and stunning views of the Santa Cruz Mountains to create a unique atmosphere that appeals to all types of guests.
Rosewood Sand Hill provides 121 guest rooms that are perfect for relaxing or rejuvenating with resort-like amenities and high-quality service. Guests can indulge at Sense, A Rosewood Spa®, or delight in the freshest local ingredients at Madera Restaurant. There are many different experiences available at this beautiful property; whether you’re looking for a peaceful getaway or a lively place to dine and drink, Rosewood Sand Hill has something for everyone.
The Sommelier is responsible for selecting, buying, storing, selling, and serving wines. Ensures that guests are able to find a wine that fits their tastes and complements their food. Works with the kitchen to find suitable wines to pair with dishes on the menu. Works out on the floor of the restaurant, helping customers to decide the exact wine that best meets their needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities – (Key Activities)
* Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies, service procedures and standards.
* Ensure that standards are maintained at a superior level on a daily basis.
* Maintain complete knowledge of VIPs as determined by Hotel & Residents.
* Responsible for the recommendation and sales of wines and other beverages to guests. Offer and promote the digestives.
* Maintain complete knowledge of and strictly abide by state liquor regulations, particularly those prohibiting service to minors, intoxicated persons and drunk driving.
* Carry out wine education classes.
* Train front of house about wine / wine matching. Make sure all service associates know which wines to recommend to each dish of the menu.
* Carry out monthly stock control, inventory. Update continuously all stock forms.
* Maintain and update wine and all other beverage lists. Ensure wines off critical age get sold. Establish sommelier recommendation. Check pricing is up to date.
* Co-ordinate the work of subordinates and maintain the established procedures and policies.
* Promote good working atmosphere with emphasis in enhancing relations with subordinates.
* Greet guests, handle comments and problems whenever required and promote sales to meet forecasted revenues.
* Converse with guests to maintain a good relationship as well as extending personal touch.
* Make requisition for supplies in order to maintain stock level.
* Maintain complete knowledge of P.O.S. and manual systems.
* Anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
* Maintain positive guest relations at all times.
* Be familiar with all hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond to guest inquiries accurately.
* Handle guest complaints following the six-step procedure and ensuring guest satisfaction.
* Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned station and service areas.
* Carry out any other duties as and when required by the Director of Food and Beverage.
Health & Safety
* Be aware of and comply with safe working practices as laid down under the Health and Safety Act as applicable to your place of work. This will include your awareness of any specific hazards at your workplace.
* The wearing of appropriate clothing provided by or recommended by the Company will be obligatory.
* Report any defects in the building, plant or equipment according to hotel procedure.
* Ensure that any accidents to associates, guests or visitors are reported immediately in accordance with correct procedures.
* Attend Statutory Fire, Health & Safety training and be fully conversant with and abide by all rules concerning Fire, Health & Safety.
* Be fully conversant with:
* OSHA Regulations
* Risk Assessments for your department
* Hotel Fire & Bomb Procedures
* Whist working for the company there will be access to a wide variety of confidential information concerning the company, guests and associates. It is vital that all such information remains confidential and must not be disclosed to anyone outside the company, guests and associates, unless otherwise stated.
* Comply and adhere to the Rosewood company policies.
* Take on other tasks in addition of the ones stated, in a reasonable framework.
* Be a “brand ambassador” at all times and ensure brand integrity and clarity are always maintained.
* Model the company’s culture, vision, mission and core values at all times.
* While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the duties involved in this position, the Company reserves the right to add, remove or alter duties when business need dictates.
* As the hotel’s level of business varies considerably, there is a need for flexibility in attitude, approach and working hours.
Must be able to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy; prioritize, organize and follow-up; be a clear thinker, remaining calm and resolving problems using good judgment; follow directions thoroughly; understand a guest’s service needs; work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team; work with minimal supervision; maintain confidentiality of guest information and pertinent hotel data.
* Knowledge Ability to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy; ability to prioritize, organize and follow through; ability to be a clear thinker, remain calm and resolve problems using good judgment; ability to work well under pressure of meeting production schedules and timelines for guests’ hot food orders;
* Ability to maintain good coordination; ability to transport cases of received goods to the workstation; ability to work an 8-12 hour shift in hot, noisy and sometimes close conditions;
* Ability to work with all products and food ingredients involved; ability to use all senses to ensure quality standards are met
* Ability to differentiate dates; ability to operate, clean and maintain all equipment required in job functions;
* Ability to comprehend and follow recipes; ability to perform job functions with minimal supervision; ability to work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team.
Required to speak, read and write English, with fluency in other languages preferred.
* Must be able to exert physical effort in transporting 20 pounds, endure various physical movements throughout the work areas, reach up and down, remain stationary at times throughout work periods, and satisfactorily communicate with guests and co-workers to their understanding.
* Kitchen Environment- constantly exposed to heat, high cold, slippery surfaces and appliances such as stove, oven, dishwasher, cooking top, as well as cleaning tools.
* Ability to manage multiple tasks
* Can meet deadlines
* Thinks globally
Creates work environment that:
* Energizes, motivates and supports employees
* Foster a climate of open communication, trust and respect
* Encourages team behavior
* Effectively communicates with all levels
* Passionate and dedicated
* Is patient, yet persistent
* Culturally aware and sensitive
* Diploma/Some College or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
* California Responsible Beverage Service (RBS) Certificate & California Food Handler Card, preferred.
* Minimum 21 years of age to serve alcoholic beverages
* Minimum three years of food & beverage in a similar position in a well-established hotel.
* Hotel operational exposure (i.e. F&B) preferred
* Experience with a luxury or ultra-luxury property or brand preferred
Rosewood Sand Hill provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
SPECIAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS
Rosewood Sand Hill requires all employees to be up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccination, including receiving a booster if eligible. Accordingly, applicants will be required to submit proof of vaccination prior to beginning employment, and may only begin employment if fully vaccinated. In accordance with the law, Rosewood Sand Hill will accommodate applicants and employees who cannot be administered the COVID-19 vaccine for medical or religious reasons, if to do so would not be an undue hardship. Applicants should contact [email protected] if they have questions about this requirement or wish to request an accommodation under the law.
The pay scale for this position is between $22.05 and $24.50/hour. This is the pay range for this position that the Hotel reasonably expects to pay.
Decisions regarding individual rates will be based on a number of factors, such as experience, type of hotel luxury experience and/or Fine Dining Restaurant Experience.